Monday, September 8, 2008

Drunk Driving?!?!?

SO, Last night (Sunday) we were at a friends house for their sons birthday party. We left about 10pm. The kids were playing out side and petting the dog, and I pet the dog too so I and the kids put some hand sanitizer on our hands before we drove off. I had only been to their house once before and it was during the day so I felt a little lost coming home from their house in the dark. I couldn't see anything and the road didn't look familiar. I had my GPS but I think it was taking me the wrong way. I was driving because Tim was too tired and he wanted to call his parents. I had just pulled out of their neighborhood and was driving about 43 mph I was debating on turning around because I didn't think we were going the right way. I was about 1/4 mile up the road, when the lights go on behind me. Tim was like "How fast are you going?" I said "43, I wasn't speeding". I didn't know why I got pulled over. So the cop comes up to the window and asks for my Drivers License. As I'm getting it out, I asked "Can I ask why I am getting pulled over" (As Tyler is starting to cry in the back cuz he is scared) He said "You were going 15 under the speed limit and you were all over the road". HELLO!!! The roads are so windy, narrow and all over the place. It is impossible to drive straight!!! But I didn't say that, I said "REALLY?!? WOW, I didn't expect that, I knew I wasn't speeding." Then he asked me to step out of the car. I said "Sure" and I got out and he was shining the flash light on my feet, I was like what is going on? Then he asked me if I had been drinking? I stared laughing. I said "No, I have never drank a day in my life, I swear." And he said "Your car reaks of alcohol" I said "REALLY? I swear I've never drank. We just came from their little boy's birthday party. There was no alcohol" He said "Did you recently put on hand sanitizer?" I said "Yea, right before we left our friends house, they live right up the road" He said "stay here" and he went and asked Tim "Does she have hand sanitizer in her purse?" Tim said "Yea, here it is, she just put it on the kids" he took it and smelt it and gave it back to Tim and came back to me and said that the Hand sanitizer was what he was smelling. I said "Really? I didn't know alcohol smelled like that" And I smelt my hands. He said "Yea, some alcohol does" I was so scared I wanted to cry but instead I am laughing. I again said "I've never drank, I didn't know it smelt like that" Anyway, he gave me my license back and said I could go. I said Okay, I will go 55 mph now. And he said "Don't now because now it is 45" I said "Okay, Thanks" Tim was laughing so hard when I got in the car. I didn't think it was very funny cuz I was so scared. But now that I have had a day to calm down from it, it is a pretty funny story. I was totally shaking on the way home. And My GPS was taking me the wrong way. Well, not the wrong way but a different way than the way we got there. So anyway, kind of funny. My sister-in-law said "You need to lay off the hand sanitizer."

7 comments:

Kim Skinner said...

I have been pulled over for supposedly "drunk driving" twice now. Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us.

Sheri said...

Ah, I've also been pulled over for suspected drunk driving. Though your story is much more humorous than mine. Too funny.

Greco Family said...

Ok that is just too funny!! I was laughing reading it. First the thought of seeing you drunk was enough to make me bust up laughing!! I have been pulled over many times for drunk driving during my "clubbin'" days. Glad he let you go without being too mean.

King Family said...

Nathan has been pulled over a few times because cops that he might be driving under the influence. Pretty crazy story. I had to laugh. I hope you can about it too now!

Brian and Shawntel Ashcroft Family said...

Remember when you and I were coming home from the ASU dance in Dads pick up and I didn't get the lights turned on all the way and the cop pulled us over for Drunk driving then too. It was not funny at the moment. I think I cried but now it is. How scary but how funny all at the same time.

Maria and Ross said...

That is so funny Shayleen. I never thought you could get pulled over for driving too slow. You need to lay off the sanitizer huh!!!!

Christina Beach said...

That is too funny!! I would have never though hand sanitizer either?? I wonder if that is common?? Too funny although I am sure it wasn't at the time!! Glad you made it home all in one piece anyway with no DUI's!!:)